1. Particulars of organisation, functions & duties
2. Powers & duties of officers and employees
The powers and duties of its officers are those contained in the West Bengal State Tax on Professions, Trades, Callings and Employments Act, 1979 & the Rules framed there-under. Being quasi judicial authorities they are to discharge their duties strictly in accordance with the Acts and Rules framed there-under. The employees of this wing provide necessary support to these quasi judicial authorities in discharge of their function.
3. Procedure followed in the decision making process, including channels of supervision and accountability.
The officers being quasi judicial authority take independent decisions after considering the provisions of the law and the judgments of various courts. The supervisory officers supervise the manner in which such orders are passed by them; but, do not interfere with the texts of the order.
4. Norms set for the discharge of its functions
There are no fixed norms for discharge of the functions by the Officers. However, in cases of exigency, variable norms are fixed; but, never at the cost of quality of the orders.
5. Rules, regulations, instructions, manuals and records, held control or used by employees for discharging functions
The West Bengal State Tax on Professions, Trades, Callings and Employments Act, 1979, West Bengal State Tax on Professions, Trades, Callings and Employments Rules, 1979 & the Schedule under the West Bengal State Tax on Professions, Trades, Callings and Employments Act, 1979 are given in this website.
6. Statement of the categories of documents that are held or under control
Since most of the official process is web-application based, documents of the nature of control register, payment register, etc are maintained centrally in electronic way.. Further, certain registers like issue, dispatch, collection, outward register, dak-distribution register, initiation register, appeal and revision register, certificate register are maintained in the respective office.
7. Particulars of any arrangement that exists for consultation with, or representation by, the members of the public in relation to the formulation of policy or implementation thereof
In view of the nature of duty which is essentially quasi judicial in nature, there is no scope to have consultation with the members of the public in relation to the formulation of the policy. However, the Public Information Officer receives various representation from the business community for confirmation of tax rate or for reduction of tax rate or even for redressal of some grievances.
8. Statement of the boards, councils, committees and other bodies consisting of two or more persons constituted for the purpose of advice, and as to whether meetings of those boards councils, committees and other bodies are open to the public, or the minutes of such meetings are accessible for public
Some committees like Transfer Committee and Amendment Committee are constituted for a short term. The Amendment Committee gives hearing to various trade bodies, chamber of commerce etc. so that their representation can be heard and a proposal in deserving cases may be sent to the Govt.
9. A directory of its officers and employees
10. Particulars of recipients of concessions, permits or authorisations granted by it
This wing does not grant concession, permits or authorization. However, the benefits under the Act administered by it, certain exemption is allowed to certain class of persons in accordance with the relevant Notification(s).
11. Details in respect of the information, available to or reduced in an electronic form
Organizational details, Act & Rules, Forms & Schedules, notifications, tender notice, details about e–Services, announcements etc. are available in this website.
12. Particulars of facilities available to citizens for obtaining information, including the working hours of a library or reading room, if maintained for public use
The wing does not have any library or reading room for public use, but the members of public can access various information from this official website
13. The names, designations and other particulars of the Public Information Officers
14. Such other information as may be prescribed
Important policy decisions are taken by the Govt. But at the time of executing such policies, advertisements are given in newspapers informing the members of the public about their right/obligation relating to Profession Tax.
15(a) Procurement Tender
15(b). Citizen's Charter
We, the Profession tax wing under the Directorate of Commercial Taxes, are committed to collection of Profession Tax revenue with the aim at providing the tax payers with the finest service facility and implementing an all on-line tax administration. We further thrive to improving concern for the mother-nature by eliminating the necessity of paper in the entire tax collection process. Our vision is towards delivering a transparent, and quality service within the ‘easy to comply’ ambience without even requiring personal interaction of the tax payers with the tax officials. We believe in our capacity in building up a transparent tax administration equipped with efficient and updated technology driven by a team of motivated and encouraged group of officials. We further believe in our strength of will power that leads us to continuous upgradation of service facility and make the compliance more easy and time-efficient. We offer almost all the prime- services to the prospective benefices in time-bound manner in the way as follows:
|Service||Nature of service||prospective benefices||Timeline*|
|Granting Enrolment||Totally on-line||Citizen having tax liability||Instantaneous|
|Granting Registration||Totally on-line||Citizen having tax liability||Instantaneous|
|Instantaneous Generation of Payment certificate||Totally on-line||Citizen having tax liability||Instantaneous|
|Payment of tax||Totally on-line||Citizen having tax liability||Instantaneous|
|Amendment of Enrolment certificate||Totally on-line||Enrolled persons||Instantaneous|
|Amendment of registration certificate||Totally on-line||Registered employers||Instantaneous|
|Surrender of Enrolment certificate||Totally on-line||Enrolled persons||Instantaneous|
|Surrender of Registration certificate||Totally on-line||Registered employers||Instantaneous|
|e-Filling of Return||Totally on-line||Registered employers||Instantaneous|
|Generation of ID for Government offices||Totally on-line||Government officials||Instantaneous|
|Redressal of grievance||Totally on-line||Citizen||7 days|
*Subject to correctness of input values and feed-back from liaison systems
(033) 7122 1474/1176/1485/1172
Source: Profession Tax, Last Updated on: 26th Mar, 2017
This site is designed, hosted and maintained by National Informatics Centre, Department of Electronics & Information.